Knee Surgery, Arthroscopy and Joint Replacemen
2002 – 2017 IHC Orthopedic Specialty Group – TOSH Murray, UT
2001 – 2002 Fellowship Salt Lake City, UT
University of Utah Sports Medicine /Primary Children’s Medical Center
– Sports Medicine – University of Utah Medical Center & LDS Hospital
– Robert T. Burks, MD, Fellowship Director
– Pediatric Orthopedics – Primary Children’s Medical Center & Shriner’s Hospital
– Peter M. Stevens, MD, Fellowship Director
1997 – 2001 University of Utah School of Medicine Salt Lake City, UT
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Orthopedic Resident, June 2001
- Administrative Chief Resident
- Tenure Review Committee
- Clinical Computing Committee
1996 – 1997 University of Utah School of Medicine Salt Lake City, UT
Department of General Surgery
1992 – 1996 University of Utah School of Medicine Salt Lake City, UT
Doctor of Medicine, May 1996
- Barber Scholarship – awarded to a “superior student with an interest in surgery”
- Senior Honors Surgery Program – one of 6 students accepted
- Vice-chairman, American Medical Student Association, Utah chapter
- Yearbook staff
- Member, American Medical Association & American Medical Student Association
- Medical School Curriculum Committee
1988 – 1992 University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, June 1992
Emphasis: digital signal processing, bioengineering
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Presidential Scholarship – 4 year full academic
- National Merit Scholarship
- Engineering Department Scholarship
- Mortar Board
- Dean’s List
- Phi Gamma Phi – National honor society
- Tau Beta Pi – National engineering honor society
- Student government: Student Assembly Representative, Operations Committee Chairman, Programs and Activities Board, Student Fee Committee, Mayfest Committee, Student Senate
- Sigma Chi Fraternity: Quaestor (treasurer), Social Chairman
1985-1986 Brigham Young University Provo, UT
Studies in Computer Science, transferred to University of Utah
- Spencer W. Kimball Scholarship – 4 year full academic
- Sterling Scholar in Mathematics – scholarship
USOS – Utah State Orthopedic Society
2018-current Past-President Salt Lake City, UT
2005-2009 Board Member – In charge of Education
AAOS – American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
ABOS – American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons
AAHKS – American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
AANA – Arthroscopy Association of North America
IADMS – International Association of Dance Medicine and Science (Past member)
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH
- Greis PE, Lahav A, Holmstrom MC: Surgical Treatment Options for Patella Tendon Rupture, Part II: Chronic. Orthopedics 2005; 28(8): 765-772.
- Greis PE, Holmstrom MC, Lahav A: Surgical Treatment Options for Patella Tendon Rupture, Part I: Acute. Orthopedics 2005; 28(7); 672-679.
- Holmstrom MC, Greis PE, Horwitz DS: Chronic ischial apophysitis in a gymnast treated with trans-apophyseal drilling to affect “apophysiodesis”: A case report. Am J Sports Med 2003; 31(2): 294-296.
- Greis PE, Bardana DD, Holmstrom MC, Burks RT: Meniscal Injury: I. Basic Science and Evaluation. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2002; 10(3): 168-176.
- Greis PE, Holmstrom MC, Bardana DD, Burks RT.: Meniscal Injury: II. Management.. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2002; 10(3): 177-187.
- Holmstrom MC, Logel K, Burks RT, Greis PE, West HS: Distal patellar realignment without proximal medial reconstruction as treatment for patella instability. (unpublished research project)
- Holmstrom MC: Real-time pitch detection
algorithm: Pitch recognition by waveform analysis. Senior thesis, 1992
- Presented in IEEE Competition
- 1st place – University of Utah Division
- 3rd place – Mountain Division
PRESENTATIONS / TEACHING
- Holmstrom MC: Pediatric Sports Injuries: Prevention and Treatment. At Utah Physical Therapy Association, 38th Annual Fall Conference, Layton, UT, October 2013.
- Holmstrom MC: Arthritis & Your Knee. At The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) Open House, Murray, UT, June 2011.
- Holmstrom MC: Knee and Shoulder Pain: Help, It Hurts…AtThe Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) Open House, Murray, UT, April 2010.
- Holmstrom MC: Partial Knee Replacement: Is It Right For You? AtThe Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) Open House, Murray, UT, May 2007.
- Holmstrom MC: The Knee: Physical Exam and Common Diagnoses. AtEssentials of Musculoskeletal Care for the Primary Care Provider Conference, Murray, UT, May 2007.
- Holmstrom MC: Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair: Surgical Set-up and Technique. AtShoulder & Knee Arthroscopy Surgical Skills Workshop, MERLIN Facility, Henderson, NV, May 2007 (also Course Co-Chairman).
- Holmstrom MC: Arthroscopic Bankart Repair: Surgical Set-up and Technique. AtShoulder & Knee Arthroscopy Surgical Skills Workshop, MERLIN Facility, Henderson, NV, May 2007 (also Course Co-Chairman).
- Holmstrom MC: Partial Knee Replacement – Is It Right For You? At The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) Open House, Murray, UT, May 2007.
- Holmstrom MC: Treatment of Meniscal Tears. AtThe Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) Physical Therapy Conference, Murray, UT, February 2007.
- Holmstrom MC: Shoulder Problems in the Young Athlete. At28th Annual Common Problems in Pediatrics, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2006.
- Holmstrom MC: Common Pediatric Injuries and Treatment (Including Splinting and Casting Lab). At IHC Clinical Learning Days, Murray, UT, November 2004.
- Holmstrom MC: Evaluation and treatment options of growth plate injuries. At Annual Sports Medicine Conference for Athletic Trainers, The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH), Salt Lake City, UT, August 2002.
- Smith JT, Holmstrom MC, Kehl S: Predicting surgical vs non-surgical treatment as ultimate outcome in patients with idiopathic scoliosis: A new scoring system. At Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America (POSNA), Salt Lake City, UT, May 2002.
- Holmstrom MC: Distal Patella Realignment for Patellar Instability. At Sherman Coleman Scientific Lecture Series, Shriners Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT, March 2002.
- Holmstrom MC, Smith JT, Kehl S. Predicting surgical vs non-surgical treatment as ultimate outcome in patients with scoliosis: A new scoring system. At Sherman Coleman Scientific Lecture Series, Shriners Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2001.
- Holmstrom MC, Burks RT, Greis PE: Dynamic modeling of tibiofemoral contact pressures after posterior cruciate ligament sectioning. At Grand Rounds, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, May 2000.
- Holmstrom MC: Thoracic and Lumbar Fractures in Children. At Grand Rounds, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, September 1999.
- Holmstrom MC. Treatment of meniscal tears. At Grand Rounds, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, October 1998.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
2006-2012 There2 Medical, LC Salt Lake City, UT
Founded company to design medical products
– Designed triple-loaded fully threaded anchor (AllThread) sold by Biomet Sports Medicine worldwide
1995-1996 Orthographics, Inc Salt Lake City, UT
Designed and coded programs used worldwide in orthopedic surgery for computer-assisted preoperative planning and outcomes analysis
- Assisted in rewrite of existing suite of programs into Windows 95
- Integrated image processing modules into overall project
- Programmed all modules using Visual Basic
1995-1996 Utah Technology Finance Corporation (UTFC) Salt Lake City, UT
Performed analysis of medical device companies for the state of Utah
- Developed technical analysis paper of product involving fluorescent immunogenic probes to assay quantitative levels of various biological substances
- Performed detailed market analysis of product
- Acted as “expert” to help UTFC determine feasibility of investing development funds
1991-1994 Secret Service / One-800 UT & ID
Performed professionally in 2 regional bands
- Performed 1-2 times / week throughout Utah and Idaho
- Played acoustic & electric guitars, keyboards, bass guitar, and sang
- Helped record some of our original compositions for a commercial CD
- Intermountain, LDS Hospital, Risk Management Department Salt Lake City, UT
Designed system used to track all critical indicators and incident reports for LDS Hospital
- Developed database design parameters in concert with risk managers
- Created all interfaces for users
- Translated all prior data from disparate sources into unified database
- Developed entire system in Advanced Revelation
1988-1992 Intermountain, LDS Hospital, Quality Management Department Salt Lake City
Software engineer / Network manager
Supported all computer requirements for entire department
- Designed custom query programs on TANDEM mainframe
- Specified and implemented multiple databases to support various recredentialing tasks
- Developed and implemented a user-friendly PC-based query application used by case managers to access patient data files on a mainframe computer for custom studies
- Installed and managed a 50-user Novell network
- Performed various programming tasks in TAL (Tandem Application Language), PAL (Ptext Application Language), C, dBase, Advanced Revelation, Lotus 1-2-3, and Netware
1990 IBM Corporation Boca Raton, FL
Developed production level diagnostic programs for 8mm tape drives
- Designed programs shipped with the IBM 7207 and 7208 8mm tape drives to perform thorough device check and diagnose faulty drives
- Conformed to all IBM internal program specifications
- Finished project in 90 days – accepted by IBM with no errors
- Wrote all programs using C
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Norway
Served two years as a volunteer in Norway
- Developed fluency in Norwegian (written and spoken)
- Served as mission secretary for 6 months, responsible for all correspondence and logistics
- Served as assistant to the president for 5 months
- One of three leaders for entire country
- Traveled extensively
throughout Norway training other missionaries
1984-1986 Salt Lake County Republican Party Salt Lake City, UT
Designed and maintained 350,000 name database of registered voters
- Supported initial database inherited in rBase
- Developed programs to format custom reports given limitations of rBase
- Rewrote entire suite of database and reporting modules in COBOL
1985 Intermountain Cancer Institute Salt Lake City, UT
Designed and implemented database used to track cancer patients
- Determined trends in outcomes
- Implemented using dBase
1984 Rowan Hutchingson Consulting Salt Lake City, UT
Diagramed flowchart for assembly language program
- Examined 300+ page assembly language program listing
- Drew flowcharts detailing program flow / logic breakpoints
1982 JHM Corporation / IBM Corporation Boca Raton, FL
Developed module for first IBM PC-based multimedia program
- Designed module for Writing to Read educational series
- Incorporated graphics, tone generation, and recorded speech files
- Completed in 75 days
- Written in BASIC
1982 IBM Corporation Boca Raton, FL
Designed the first IBM PC graphics “paint” program
- Used internally by IBM to create graphic screens for other programs
- Obtained coordinate data from a graphics tablet and transformed into screen pixels
- Implemented the first use of standard building blocks – circles, rectangles, color fill, etc.
- Completed in 45 days
- Written in BASIC
- Multiple humanitarian trips to Nepal with Youthlinc, medical lead
- Poetry published in Shades, the University of Utah’s annual literary publication
- Fluent Norwegian (written & spoken), moderate Spanish
- Eagle Scout
- Hobbies include skiing, mountaineering, biking, reading and writing, composing music, travel, scuba diving